Friday, August 1, 2014

Summer Heat...

So it is HOT out…like really hot out and there is no relief in sight. I personally don’t mind the heat but it does affect the fish that I like to chase at times. I apologize for the lack of posts but between fishing, guiding, and vacationing time has been thin…So here is a catch up.

Most of my time has been spent guiding on the Lower Sac for Stripers…Fishing has been hit and miss as the bigger fish seem to have gotten a bit lethargic with the heat. The last few days it has been tough to get the big fish to eat. I have seen them and found them up on the flats but getting them to eat has been tough. Earlier this week we hooked a few big fish and lost them but the last few days have been mainly shaker and small schoolie fish and the only thing different is the heat…that said stripers are weird and can shut down and turn on day to day. Boat traffic has been pretty minimal as salmon fishing from what I have seen and heard is TERRIBLE outside of chico, ca as most fish are just blasting up river to find cooler water. Hopefully we will get some relief from the heat soon and fishing will pick up again.



Lower Yuba River – I guided the Lower Yuba river one day this last week and fishing was fair. We got smaller fish in the morning around the top of the float and found some bigger fish mid float to lower in the float. Most fish came on rubber legs and small mayfly nymphs. I didn’t see one fish rise or any hoppers around either. I imagine if one is willing to stay out past sunset there might be a caddis hatch or small PED hatch. The flows are good around 1500cfs and should remain this way until September. 

Lower Sacramento Trout – I guided Barge to Bend one day as well this last week and fishing was good in the morning but the bite got tough during the heat of the day. Most fish came on rubber legs and natural birds nests along with a new caddis pattern I am working on. Tried fishing Fox Poopa, Amber wing Princes, and a few smaller stone fly patterns with no luck.

BEER Report…
So, I totally dropped the ball on taking notes on every time I drank one of the beers from the Beer Camp Sampler…Bottom line on this was that most every beer in the 12 beer sampler was good…some were really good but none of them were beers I wouldn’t at least buy a 6 pack of. The newest beer outside of the beer camp 12 pack I have had is the Harvest Ale Single Hop IPA  - Equinox Hops, the 3rd beer in the Harvest Ale Series…pretty good beer not my favorite so far of the Harvest Series but pretty good. Also in other beer news the Flipside Red IPA is out but I have not had this years batch yet. Next stop at the store and I will pick some up.


The Giants… So they have won two in row after today…they got swept by the dodgers and played terrible against the Pirates. We are struggling, Cain needs surgery, we need a second basemen, we can’t hit…you name it. That said I am a fan and we are still a contender at this point.

Cool Experience...
I got to get on some private property on Butte Creek with my buddy John Sherman to help him photograph some of the rarest salmon around...Spring Run Salmon enter Butte Creek in March/April and spend all summer up in the Butte Creek Canyon without eating and then spawn in October/November. Pretty amazing to see these BIG fish up in tiny Butte Creek in July and know they have been in there sense the spring and they are still clean and healthy looking. Here are some pics John took...




No comments:

Post a Comment